Thirsting for Contentment?

Thirsting for Contentment?
Because we believe that there is no happiness without contentment, we offer travelers the unique experience of a vacation with purpose. By giving of ourselves we find joy because all that is not given is lost

The Gift of Giving and Receiving

The Gift of Giving and Receiving

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Buenos Aires, Argentina: Friday, May 14





Quote for the day: "Life is a journey and love is what makes that journey worthwhile." -unknown

We rise and awake to a gorgeous, sunny day in Buenos Aires. Delicious cappuccinos await in the lobby and we indulge before being picked up by a taxi to head towards our train to catch to Tigres. I enjoy the train ride and sitting amongst the people. Upon arrival in Tigres we are met by Jessie, Emily, and Gaston who greet us with sincerity and take us to the marina for our Delta tour. The boat is impeccably clean and comfortable. The company kind and interesting. As we embark on a serene tour of the Delta, the sunshine glistens across the waters and peace envelops us.

After the boat ride we walk around the puerto de frutos before taking the Tren De La Costa back to Buenos Aires. The train ride provides us with a glimpse of some of Buenos Aires' wealthy neighborhoods and beautiful homes. I look out the window and watch the people passing by. There are many children in private school uniforms laughing, walking with arms around each other, and sitting together as school has clearly just let out for the day. As I watched the children of privilege, I thought about the contrast that we would be experiencing later at the orphanage. The train continued to move down the tracks while the thought of life's fairness lingered in my head.

We returned to the hotel for a quick change and to grab the bags of toys and clothes that we had each brought for the orphanage. An arranged driver waited for us out front and took us on an over hour long journey to the Hogar Infantil Bethel orphanage. We talked along the way but all while keeping our eyes focused on the sights we passed on our way outside of the city. The public transportation, the landscape, the restaurants, the businesses, and the people gathered everywhere were all analyzed as I tried to absorb it all in an effort to determine what life is like for people here. How is their life similar and different than mine? What would it be like to live here?

Upon arrival at the orphanage, our car was surrounded as we were greeted by the smiling faces and quick moving bodies of the children. The car stopped and before I could completely open my door, a young boy, around 8 or 9 years old, jumped in and embraced me with his small, open arms. He looked at me with a smile from ear to ear and eyes glittering with happiness. I smiled in return and tried to process the intensity of the greeting I had just received from such a small, fragile child. I had thought that almost nothing could compare to how great I felt after the many self indulgences of the trip thus far, such as the massage at Finca Adalgisa. Although wonderful, the spontaneous and unexpected hug from this young orphan boy, Christian, ignited a fire in my soul that cannot compare to anything money can buy. I have never had a hug like that. Christian who is an orphan or here at this home for some other unknown depressing reason jumps into my arms without abandon. He had been hurt badly and yet trusted me so fully. What if we could go back to being as free as this child? What if we could all let go to love and trust so easily? I long for that as I imagine it would feel amazing. I think we all do.

My spanish is not even close to fluent and the children don't speak English yet we managed to communicate just fine. We laughed, played, and conversed as best we could with one another anyway. The courtyard was filled with their tiny voices and the combined laughter from all of us.

After awhile the manager, Alejandro, took us into his office to explain the history and current condition of the orphanage. He also introduced us to his brother who started the orphanage. The story is both sad and encouraging. I have such respect and admiration for these men. These men who have given their lives to the children.

We joined the children while they ate dinner and then afterwards we presented them with their gifts. I handed one young boy, Matias, a ball and two catching mits. His face lit up as he said, "Ohh...I know what this is, my friends all have it. Yes!!" I later found out that he had been anger management issues because he had been abused by his father. Time passed slowly as we threw the ball to one another and I couldn't focus on anything but his beautiful smile.



AFter a number of hours we were driven back to the hotel. There were five of us who then went to dinner to process all that was seen and experienced. One thing that had impressed everyone was that two of the adults who worked and served at the orphanage were former orphans there in their younger years. They had returned to give back to the place they knew as home. We all commented on how it was an amazing testimony to the place. When we finally left the restaurant it was past 1 am and the streets were filled with people as we walked back to the hotel. Exhausted, I fell into bed thinking of the children and of their smiling faces. I'm quite sure I fell asleep with a smile on mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment