Thirsting for Contentment?

Thirsting for Contentment?
Because we believe that there is no happiness without contentment, we offer travelers the unique experience of a vacation with purpose. By giving of ourselves we find joy because all that is not given is lost

The Gift of Giving and Receiving

The Gift of Giving and Receiving

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mendoza, Argentina: Tuesday, May 11


Quote for the Day "Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart." -Confucius



We awoke to a gorgeous, but brisk, day. Some ran while others slept. All enjoyed a breakfast of huevos con Jamon with fruits, breads, cereals, and cappuccinos served in the comfort of the gorgeous dining room.

One of the tour guides from Argentina Rafting Expediciones picked us up right on time and we were off for a day of adventure. The scenery along the 45 minute ride was breathtaking and the tour guide was friendly and informative. When we finally arrived, our eyes fell upon a beautiful sight within the Potrerillos. The Andes mountains cascading into the sparkling blue waters below were reminiscent of perhaps only New Zealand.

We were given our wetsuits to change into and then instructed on the safety procedures. A relatively short bus ride took us further out to where we began our white water rafting adventure. Our guides, Tony and Pablo, were friendly and helpful. Soon we were off and The solitude and sheer beauty of the place instantly calmed the soul while the rapids of the waters invigorated the senses.










Although I have participated in numerous physical activities, I have never before white water rafted. There is something to be said for learning a new sport. It challenges not only the body, but the mind and soul as well. As the water splashed across our faces and our arms worked in sync to steer the boat, smiles were to be found on the faces of all of us.

After rating we enjoyed a steak lunch overlooking the river. I think that no words are needed here. Ahh.....

After lunch we were greeted by Matias and Tito who took us zip lining. What an adrenaline rush! We were taken across 6 lines and with each one, confidence grew. Near the end, one of the guides asked if I wanted to go upside down. Being the adventurous type, I answered "of course" without hesitation. He replied with, "okay, but you are going to have to let go and trust me completely." I followed his lead, loosened my grip, and began to soar through the air with my legs pointed towards the sky. Although I was silent, the wind rushed past my ears as the adreline pumped through my veins and my heart screamed inside. There is a lesson in this. A lesson of trusting others and letting go in life. It is sometimes so very difficult to do even though the risk is worth it all.

We are driven back to La Finca as the sun sets while casting a soft glow across our faces, putting us to sleep. I gently lean against the window and my eyes close for a bit, as I am too tired to try to comprehend the conversation in Spanish that surrounds me. They are talking about the history of the land and I know I will ask to learn about it later. For now, however, our bodies have been completely used up and I long to rest. I sleep for a while in the gratitude for health.


When we arrive back at La Finca we go to the bodega and finish our wine and cheese plate from the night before. Marcello, our server, is incredibly kind and helpful. The smile on his face is constant and it spreads among us all. From here, we are picked up and driven to dinner in Mendoza. Upon recommendation from the taxi driver, the group ends the evening with ice cream and a walk around one of the plazas.
Another wonderful day. Que bueno!

No comments:

Post a Comment